Thursday, December 8, 2011

Holiday time in NYC

18-22 November 2011
Most of my fun trips are centered on Chris having to work somewhere fabulous.  Fortunately the week before Thanksgiving he attends a conference in NYC.  New York is on my short list of favorite places to go and I want to think that I'll live there someday (as long as I have a view of Central Park, a driver and anything else found in Real Housewives).  There is so much to do and see and this trip was really special.  Chris' parents (Perry and Joan) flew out for the weekend so I had some of my favorite people to see the city with!
Times Square is such a great place to people watch. 
I enjoyed shopping and getting food from the sidewalk vendors. On Friday I went to dinner with my in-laws at Redeye Grill and then met them the next morning at the Met. 


On Sunday Chris and I headed to the World Trade Center and the 9/11 Memorial.
I didn't realize how emotional it would be for both of us.  It was an incredibly sobering experience.  I couldn't help but think of that day 10 years ago when I was glued to the TV not knowing what was happening.  In the aftermath of that day I realized that our country would never be the same.  I think living abroad has made both of us more thankful for our country and the freedoms it offers.


The memorial is really beautiful with the sound of cascading water and the rows and rows of trees. 



On our way back to the subway we walked past "Occupy Wall Street".  The city workers were trying to put up Christmas lights and clean up the area while the rest of the 99% sat around being cold and holding up signs.  We had no idea that the 99% were so unattractive...




Lobby of Radio City Music Hall
One of my favorite activities of the trip was seeing the Rockettes at the Radio City Christmas Spectacular. 


After the show we had a beautiful walk to our dinner at Smith and Wollensky. 
No NYC trip is complete without a trip to Rockefeller Center!

No comments:

Post a Comment